Thursday, November 24, 2011

Fitment of Hub Motor Axle Flats into Bike Frame Dropouts.

Thanksgiving Day, I had a little time while the meal was cooking.
I swapped out the low rolling resistance (LRR) street tire that came with the hub motor kit to my mountain tire.  I also added a thorn proof tube and thorn guard liner.
I removed the rear wheel and test fit the Hub motor axle flats into the bike frame drop outs.  I had to do a little grinding with a small flat file to get the motor axle to seat completely into the bike frame dropouts.  I only needed to widen the dropout about .030".  I also used a round file to radius the back of the dropout to match the radius of the motor axle, so that it would seat perfectly in the dropout and the wheel is centered in the bike's rear frame.



I also filed the tabbed washers so that the tab fits into the safety hole behind the dropout.



The next step is to remove the brake levers and replace them with the new brake levers included in the hub motor conversion kit.  The new brake levers have a electrical switch incorporated within the lever that interrupts the power to the motor when either of the brakes are applied.

No comments:

Post a Comment